Jan 27, 2016

letting go


Why, hello there, little blog! Haven't seen you in a while!
Just in case the crickets were wondering, I've been quite the busy beaver. Pretty much just working on my book over here which consumes most of my free time. Not complaining, just observing this is basically all I do these days except for my "real job" and the occasional custom portrait. 
Writing this book has, however, been the most challenging project I've ever pursued. There was a period when I was only half-heartedly working on it as I was also making a lot of art at the time, but no more. All my focus is on writing this book. Some days are tougher than others. On low days, I can't find anything redeeming about my story, it's a piece of trash, etc. etc. In addition to that, I am without any beta readers, so I'm not getting any help with it, either. Like, no reading groups or classes or even willing friends or family members to help a girl out. The only person that ever gives me feedback is my darling husband, The Best Man on Earth. I think he's read the first eight chapters five times now. 
The actual writing part isn't difficult. I can write and write and write and write, no problem. What I struggle with the most is the story structure and organization of plot lines and characters. Most of the time it's because I have a hard time letting go and my story suffers as a result. This involves characters and scenes mostly, BUT. Once I decide to make that drastic cut, I can see the structure more clearly - because I've simplified things. I need to remind myself of that when I start writing Book #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment